Why we change to Postal Secret Ballot for our council election?
After our announcement of reorganizing our 2020 HKDU AGM, we received enquiries from members for a better method for council election.
All through these 54 years from EDA to HKDU, we have been using proxies for council election as there was not much competition among the candidates for election. So far, the proxy method for election served us well, especially in the way of fairness and saving money for the Union.
However, this year's council election faced a great challenge due to the disharmony and difficulties in verification of the proxies, so much so that proxies could not be verified, according to Hon. Secretary, even before the scheduled 2020 HKDU AGM on 19th November 2020 leading to its crash.
As I have reported before, using our traditional proxy system might have the following unfairness and disadvantages to our members in selecting their favorite candidates:
1. Member in appointing an appointee could not know how and whom the appointee would choose the candidates in the AGM according to his/her genuine wishes.
2. Since proxy form could be copied, a member sometimes could have the chance to change his/her mind on further thoughts and send in more than one proxy form which would make verification process in HKDU office difficult and might lead to error and abuse;
3. Any handwriting error in member’s name and membership number would void the proxy form which the member might not be aware;
As such, our council has decided to switch to Postal Secret Ballot with the help of Third-Party Company which has the following advantages: -
1. A member can choose which candidates he/she likes of his/her own accord in his/her own private environment;
2. The filling of ballot paper is made simple. You only have to tick the candidates of your choice. Under no condition that a member voter can tick more candidates than the number allowed for that specific category of candidates;
3. We hire a Third-Party Company this time to avoid or minimize the disharmony between the Hon. Secretary and the secretariat staff and also to reduce any chance of dispute;
4. In this period of COVID-19 pandemic, we follow the government infectious disease control measures by enforcing social distancing through Postal Secret Ballot.
However, hiring a Third-Party Company means extra cost to the Union. Luckily, we have contacted and convinced the Third-Party Company which has been managing Ballot Papers for the Hong Kong Medical Association for years to help us this time. And the cost is not too much, i.e., HK$ 25,000 for receiving, verifying, counting ballots and presentation of the results in the coming 2020 HKDU AGM.
Now let us turn to the format of actual Postal Secret Ballot for HKDU 2020 council election this time.
1. Firstly, the Ballot paper only contains the names of the candidates for you to tick. You are cautioned not tick any number more than that specific for each category of candidates, otherwise the whole Ballot paper will be voided;
2. Secondly, only the Ballot paper can be put into the envelope specific for the Ballot Paper. If the Ballot Paper is not sealed within its designated Ballot Paper Envelope and just inserted into the Return Address Envelope together with other documents, the Ballot Paper will be voided;
3. Thirdly, before you send out the Ballot paper, please complete and sign the Member Acknowledgement sheet and put it together with the sealed Ballot Paper Envelope containing the ticked Ballot Paper, into the large self-addressed Return Envelope to provide statement to make sure your Ballot paper is valid;
4. Fourthly, in case you are not sure, please read the instruction sheet for filling and returning the Ballot Paper and follow the steps, or else you can phone up the secretariat or our council members for help.
We wish that by changing to Postal Secret Ballot for our council election, we can achieve a fair, open and successful 2020 HKDU Council Election this time.
Wishing you a Happy and Healthy Chinese Year of the Ox.